WESTCHESTER’S EARTH DAY CELEBRATION AT KENSICO DAM PLAZA
Join the effort against global warming in a fun and entertaining way
Discover practical and easy ways to make your home, the earth and Westchester County a cleaner, greener and healthier place to live – and have some fun at the same time at Westchester County’s Earth Day Celebration, Sunday, April 13 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla. Admission and parking are free.
The event is sponsored by the county’s Parks and Environmental Facilities departments in conjunction with County Executive Andy Spano’s Global Warming Task Force. (The task force recently issued its Action Plan for the county, designed to reduce the county’s carbon foot print by 20 percent by 2015.) Co-sponsors are the Friends of Westchester County Parks and Cornell University Cooperative Extension of Westchester County.
The celebration is part of Westchester’s annual observance of Earth Day, which also includes “Pitch In for Parks,” the largest volunteer spruce-up of county parks, recreational trails and nature centers in the county. Pitch in for Parks also takes place on Sunday, April 13. For a full list of Earth Day Events in Westchester, go to http://www.westchestergov.com/events earthmonth.htm
At the April 13 program, Spano will present the annual Earth Day Recycling Awards. The award program recognizes community recycling programs as well as businesses which “go the extra mile” in their recycling efforts.
Visitors will be able to explore many environmental themes. The day’s program includes:
- Live music - provided by Annie and the Natural Wonder Band.
- Practical ways to “green” your home the easy way. Meet members of the Global Warming Task Force and get some great ideas of how you can start making your home environmentally friendly and healthy right now.
- A compost-making demonstration and free compost to take home. Bins to make your own compost can also be reserved for purchase – wholesale priced at $20 and $40. Bins can be reserved at the event or by calling (914) 813-5420. Online reservations are also available at www.westchestergov.com.
- The Westchester County Veggie Van and other alternative-fuel vehicles on exhibit. See cars, trucks and buses that have been built or adapted to reduce “pain at the pump.”
· Gardening Q&A with the experts. Whether you’re a fan of colorful annuals and perennials or believe that the best vegetables are the ones you grow yourself, you’ll find answers to all types of gardening questions from the experts at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Westchester County.
· Plastic-bag recycling. Bring your used plastic bags and drop them in specially marked bins.
· Cell phone collection box. A special box will be provided for used cellular phones collected for Verizon Wireless’ HopeLine Project, which recycles phones for the benefit of domestic violence victims.
· Earth Day Recycling Awards. The annual awards from the county Recycling Office will be presented to recognize outstanding business and community accomplishments from the past year.
Kensico Dam Plaza is located at the north end of the Bronx River Parkway in Valhalla. For more information, call County Parks at (914) 864-PARK or log on to www.westchestergov.com.