CON EDISON’S TIPS TO BE COOL ABOUT HEAT
With rising temperatures and higher humidity forecasted for at least the next two days, Con Edison is offering energy-savings tips to help save money while staying cool.
Customers should report power interruptions or service problems, as well as view service restoration information online at www.conEd.com, and on their cell phones and PDAs. They also may call 1-800-75-CONED promptly if they are experiencing any service difficulties.
The company also reminds customers that $30 rebates are still available for customers who invest in cost-cutting Energy Star-rated room air conditioners. Watch and learn about the benefits of Energy Star air conditioners at http://www.coned.com/videos/becoolgetpaid/.
Applications for the $30 rebate can be downloaded at www.coned.com/roomacrebates.
Some steps to stay cool include:
· Making sure air conditioner filters are clean for peak efficiency;
· Setting thermostats no lower than 78 degrees. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
· Closing off the rooms not being used if you have a room air-conditioner; if you have central air, block the vents in unused or vacant rooms;
· Turning off lights and other appliances, using a timer to turn them on as necessary;
· Running appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s generally cooler. Another alternative: Using a microwave to cook, or a barbecue outside, if possible.
· Accepting Con Edison’s offer of a free programmable thermostat if you have central air conditioning. Program the thermostat manually or from the Internet. Turning off your air conditioner when you’re not there beats leaving it on all the time, and programming it instead to turn on before you return is a wise way to save on summer electric bills. To learn more about Con Edison’s free programmable thermostat, call 1-866-521-8600 or visit www.conEd.com/cool.
Energy-savings tips are also available on Facebook at Power of Green, on Twitter @ConEdLiz and @ConEdSara and by downloading the company’s Power of Green iPhone app.
Con Edison continues to offer a host of energy-savings programs for homes and businesses. Customers can take steps to reduce energy usage this summer with rebates and incentives now available for energy-efficient appliances and cooling systems in their homes and businesses. To learn more or enroll, go to www.coned.com/energyefficiency or call 1-877-870-6118.