The Rye Brook Fire Department has noticed several alarming safety concerns when responding to calls over the past week. The folloiwng are a few reminders to help keep you safe.
Fire Place Ash:
Remove only in a metal can and properly secure top. Ash can be taken ouside away from your home or soaked in water away from anything that can burn. Do not use cardboard, paper, plastic container, or vacuum cleaners to remove ash. It may have hot spots and reignits.
- Use only approved container
- Both caps must be tight
- Store outside or in a ventelated shed
- Never store inside a home; storage inside is prohibited
- Gas vapors are heavier than air and any ignition source, including sparks from appliances, light swithes or piolot lights can ignite the vapors
- One gallon of gas can explode with the same force as 14 sticks of dynamite
If you have any questions, please contact the Rye Brook Fire Department non-emergency line at (914) 939-5144