D.A.R.E Tips For Parents
- Establish family rules that make it clear that drug use will not be tolerated.
- Educate yourself about drugs, so you can talk informatively with your children and answer their questions.
- Spend time with your children listening to their concerns and showing how much you love and care for them.
- Recognize that YOU are their most important role model.
- Because peer pressure is a major factor in teen drug use, know your children's friends.
- Talk with other parents. Try to establish uniform rules that make access to drugs harder, such as curfew and the amount of spending money they receive.
- If a problem exists, get help! Don't say "Not my child!"
- Teach them about the many positive alternatives to drug use.
P.O. John Hawkins
Village of Rye Brook Police Department