VILLAGE OF RYE BROOK
RULES OF PROCEDURE
1.REGULAR MEETINGS. Regular meetings of the Planning Board of the Village of Rye Brook (hereinafter referred to as the “Planning Board”) shall be held on the second (2nd) and fourth (4th) Thursdays of each month, except that if any such day is a holiday, the meeting may be held as scheduled by the Chair. Regular meetings shall be called to order at 8:00 P.M.
2.SPECIAL MEETINGS. Special meetings may be called by the Chair by a written notice which shall contain a statement of the purpose for which the special meeting shall be called, and shall also state the date, time and place for the holding of such meeting.
a. Notice. The Chair shall cause written notice of a special meeting to be left at the residence or place of business of each member of the Planning Board, or sent to each member by email, at least seventy-two hours before the time for which such special meeting is called. Notice requirements may be waived by the written acknowledgment of a Planning Board Member that he had actual notice of the Special Meeting.
b. Transaction of Business. At special meetings the business to be transacted thereat shall be only that stated in the notice of such meeting.
c. Order of Business. The order of business at special meetings of the Planning Board shall conform as closely as practicable to the Order at a Regular Meeting.
a. The Clerk, at the direction of the Chair, shall prepare an agenda for each Regular Meeting of the Planning Board, which shall list the matters to be considered by the Planning Board at such meeting, and which shall include a reference to all communications and other matters in writing, which have been received by the Clerk, not later than noon of the sixth day preceding the date of the meeting. An agenda for a Regular Meeting shall list the matters to be considered by the Planning Board insofar as is possible in the order set forth in paragraph 4 of these Rules.
b. The Clerk shall arrange for the delivery of a copy of the agenda of each meeting of the Planning Board to each member of the Planning Board not later than the morning of the sixth day preceding the date of the meeting.
c. At any time, after 9 a.m. of the second day preceding the date of each board meeting, the Clerk shall during regular office hours furnish to any person appearing personally at the office of the Clerk, a copy of the agenda and a copy of any communication or any other written document which accompanies or is part of any item appearing on the agenda of a meeting of the Planning Board. The person appearing and making such request shall pay to the Clerk the sum of 25¢ for each page or part thereof requested by said person. The Clerk shall not be required to reproduce any documents or pages, which are not readily reproduced by the average copying machine.
d. Items not listed on the agenda of a regular meeting may be considered by the Planning Board as new matters only upon the unanimous consent of all members of the Planning Board present at the regular meeting.
4. ORDER OF BUSINESS. The order of business at regular meetings of the Planning Board shall be as follows:
a. Roll Call.
b. Flag Salute.
c. Public Hearings
(1) Introduction and Statement by Chair
e. Old Business
f. New Business.
g. Review of Minutes.
h. Action on non-agenda matters, subject to the unanimous consent of the Members present at the meeting.
5. SUSPENSION OF REGULAR ORDER OF BUSINESS. The regular order of business at a stated meeting may at any time be suspended by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members of the Planning Board present at such meeting.
6. VOTING. Each member of the Planning Board shall have one vote. A majority of the totally authorized voting power is necessary to pass any matter.
Every member of the Planning Board present at any meeting thereof, when a vote is taken, shall vote for or against. A member may be excused from voting by the Chair only in cases of actual conflict of interest, in which case such permitted abstention shall be recorded as “Excused.” In all other cases an abstention or silence shall be considered a positive vote for purposes of determining the final vote on a matter.
A vote upon any question shall be taken by ayes and noes, and the names of the members present and their votes shall be entered in the minutes, except that in minor matters the Chair may ask for a general consensus of the Board.
Roll call votes shall be called in alphabetical order of the last name of the Member. The Chair shall be the last one to cast a vote.
7. WITHDRAWAL OF MEMBER FROM MEETING. No member shall withdraw from a meeting of the Planning Board without the permission of the Chair.
ROBERT’S RULES OF ORDER REVISED FOR DELIBERATIVE ASSEMBLIES TO BE USED. All questions of order or procedure of the Planning Board not herein provided for shall be decided in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order Revised for Deliberative Assemblies.
9. COMMENTS BY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.
a. The Chair shall entertain comments from members of the public as to the merits of any item set forth on the agenda for a Public Hearing. Such comments shall be limited to statements not to exceed three minutes in length. Any statement not germane to the matter set down for Public Hearing shall be out of order.
b. Members of the public may also be heard on other items set forth on the Agenda at the discretion of the Chair. The Chair shall have the discretion to withhold recognition of members of the public on such items until the agenda has been completed.
c. Any member of the public may request additional speaking time by writing to the Clerk forty-eight (48) hours in advance of the meeting. The granting of such additional time shall be subject to a voice vote of the Planning Board. Members of the public may make comments at the end of the regular meeting or other public meetings.
10. RECORDING OF PROCEEDINGS OF MEETINGS. Except as otherwise provided by written permission of the Chair (setting forth the time of the meeting to which it applies and the recording media to be used), no person other than the duly authorized Village employee or designee shall record the proceedings of the meetings of the Planning Board, or any part thereof, by electronic or any other type of recorder, not with a “steno-type” or similar machine, nor by motion picture, television or any other type of camera or visual record, nor shall any person broadcast or transmit the proceedings, or any part thereof, by radio, television or any other means of broadcasting or transmission. Application for such permission shall be made in writing, to the Planning Board at least ten days in advance of the meeting for which permission is requested, .identifying the proposed recorder and media to be used. The Chair’s response to such application shall be made available at Village Hall within seven (7) days following receipt of said application. This rule shall not be construed to prohibit the making of notes by any person or persons at such meetings, whether or not such notes shall constitute a complete transcript of the proceedings, nor shall this rule apply to the Clerk or to members of the Planning Board.
11. EXECUTIVE SESSIONS. Upon a majority vote of its total membership, taken in an open meeting pursuant to a motion identifying the general area or areas of the subject or subjects to be considered, the Planning Board may conduct an executive session for matters which Federal, State, or Local law permits an executive session.
12. The words he, him, or his shall be deemed to refer to singular and plural and to persons of any gender.