Starting Salary Range: $75,000 to $110,000/year
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Village Engineer has the responsibility for engineering work of the Village. Under the general supervision of the Village Administrator, the Village Engineer performs in an important technical and administrative position requiring a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering and a good knowledge of the operation of municipal government. The Village Engineer has full responsibility in carrying out engineering matters and general direction is received in matters of Village policy. The employee also provides general supervision of the public works department; coordinates activities of the Planning Board and other related areas as appropriate. Supervision is exercised over subordinate technical, clerical and labor class employees.
EXAMPLES OF RESPONSIBILITIES (not inclusive- for illustration only):
- Plans special construction or maintenance projects;
- Estimates the costs of construction of paving, curbs, sewers and sidewalks;
- Directs or undertakes the supervision of street and other public works activities;
- Coordinates activities of the Planning Board and attends their meetings;
- Drafts forms of codes and makes recommendations for zoning changes and for street lighting improvements;
- Conducts negotiations between the Village and other parties, such as County officials, utility companies, etc.;
- Supervises or undertakes preparation of plans and specifications for construction or maintenance projects;
- Supervises or undertakes the preparation of contracts and the calling for bids;
- Issues permits for street openings and tree removals;
- Assumes responsibility for sewage system, sewage disposal system;
- Authorizes construction material purchase orders;
- Reviews projects for storm water design & compliance;
- Makes special studies and reports on a variety of subjects and activities as basis for recommendations to the Village Board of Trustees;
- May use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Possession of a Professional Engineer’s License issued by New York State and two (2) years of experience in the field of civil engineering, one (1) of which must have been in a supervisory capacity. A civil service test will be required at a later date.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest to Christopher J. Bradbury, Village Administrator, at Rye Brook Village Hall, 938 King Street, Rye Brook, NY 10573, by July 6, 2009.