Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Request
If you would like to submit a FOIL request by mail, fax or in person please click here or if you would like to submit a FOIL request by e-mail please follow the instructions below.
If you need further assistance you may contact the Records Access Officer or Clerk for information on filing your Freedom of Information request. For more information you may go to the NYS Freedom of Information Law website.
The fees are as follows:
How long must I wait to get access to records?
When an agency receives a request, §89(3)(a) of the Freedom of Information Law states that it has five business days to grant or deny access in whole or in part, or if more time is needed, to acknowledge the receipt of the request in writing and indicate an approximate date by which the agency will respond to the request, usually not more than 20 additional business days. See Explanation of Time Limits for Responding to a Request.
REQUEST FOR RECORDS BY EMAIL
[This form language is optional but may enhance your use of the Freedom of Information Law. You may choose to utilize certain portions that are most applicable to your request. Please cut and paste the entire form into a new email, read all provisions, and delete those that do not apply.]
[The subject line of your request should be "FOIL Request".]
Dear Clerk and Records Management Officer:
(1) Please email the following records if possible [include as much detail about the record as possible, such as relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.]:
(2) Please advise me of the appropriate time during normal business hours for inspecting the following records prior to obtaining copies (include as much detail about the records as possible, including relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.):
(3) Please inform me of the cost of providing paper copies of the following records [include as much detail about the records as possible, including relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.].
(4) If all the requested records cannot be emailed to me, please inform me by email of the portions that can be emailed and advise me of the cost for reproducing the remainder of the records requested ($0.25 per page or actual cost of reproduction).
(5) If the requested records cannot be emailed to me due to the volume of records identified in response to my request, please advise me of the actual cost of copying all records onto a CD or floppy disk.
(6) If my request is too broad or does not reasonably describe the records, please contact me via email so that I may clarify my request, and when appropriate, indicate the manner in which records are filed, retrieved or generated.
If it is necessary to modify my request, I would prefer to be contacted at the following telephone number: _____________.
If for any reason any portion of my request is denied, please inform me of the reasons for the denial in writing and provide the name, address and email address of the person or body to whom an appeal should be directed.
Address [if records are to be mailed].